Thursday, November 15, 2012

Comfort Zone: Abandoned!

Hey! Time to be good at blogging again. Maybe. I need to remember that I can blog about little things and not just big events. So here I go.
Last week was really fun. My roommate, Jenessa, is in the BYU Women's Chorus, which is awesome!! Seriously, it is. I love Men's and Women's Chorus, they are beautiful. They are like the MoTab in training. So they had a concert last week and another roommate, Maggie, and I went to it to watch her sing. It was everything I expected and more. So beautiful!! The women sang some really pretty songs, and then it was the men's turn and they... blew me away. They sang some pretty songs but also some just plain awesome numbers. They are so talented and so funny. I was almost crying from laughter. Anyway, a good time was had by all and at the end I had a lot more love for my university.
So after the concert, Maggie and I had an idea to get everyone's "autographs". Of course we couldn't get everyone's, but we wanted to try and get as many as we could on our programs. So we walked out into the big open space where everyone was finding their families, and we got started. I thought it would be easy, but it was actually really hard! It pushed me way out of my comfort zone. All I had to do was go up to really nice people and ask them to sign my program, but I had a hard time for some reason. Maggie was really really good at it because she has basically no inhibitions.
Even though it was hard, it was something that turned out making me feel actually really good! Because each time I would go up to someone, the same thing would happen. They always looked really shocked/surprised at first, and then they looked really happy, and very graciously gave me their autograph. They were so flattered that someone would want their autograph after a routine concert such as this, and almost all of them said they'd never given someone their autograph before. One boy said "You guys are the best! You're just so awesome! Man, you're just seriously so great!" And all we did was ask for his autograph!
It was such a fun and fulfilling thing to do. I feel like we made people feel really good and it was so simple! (Even though the execution was a little difficult for me). It opened my eyes to the fact that you can make someone's day without even having to go to great lengths. You lose nothing and they gain so much. Why not do it? I want to try to go out of my comfort zone more to help people feel good about themselves. Every time I receive a random compliment or "hello" from a complete stranger, I am amazed at how good it makes me feel!
Here's a picture of the aftermath. Maggie totally beat me number-wise!



So. Yeah. Good times. I'm gonna try to be better at being awesome and you guys should too!! But you all are already really good at that. So what am I even saying.
I love you all! That's my post! Yep!

3 comments: