Monday, July 30, 2012

There's A First For Everything

What started as a normal shift at the bowling alley on Friday ended with an emergency trip to the medical clinic. Now I'm chillin in my apartment having a slow time typing with my broken finger!
Friday was super busy with tons of EFY chil'ns taking their chance to bowl. We got through the rush incident-free and all was going well. At one point, towards the end of my shift, I went to the back behind the pinsetters to fix the usual ball jam. As I was pushing the balls through the track, one of them somehow escaped and flew off. I didn't move out of the way in time and the ball landed on my finger! It smashed it onto another metal part of the machine and it hurt pretty bad but at first I figured it was just a bad smash, so I finished fixing the problem. Then I looked at my finger and kinda got a little worried because the pain wasn't going away at all and my finger was like white and flat. So I walked back down the lane, smiled to the little family that thanked me, and went straight to my boss Glenna's office to get her opinion. She immediately called the BYU EMS, who came really fast but pretty much just told me they couldn't do much to tell if it was broken so I could go to the doctor if I wanted but I didn't have to. Oh, and they did a great job of calming me down by telling me I probably had nerve damage and my finger would be numb for the rest of my life, haha.
Turns out, it's a good thing I went to the doctor because my finger is definitely broken, or "crushed" as they referred to it. Here's a picture of the x-ray. My hand looks totally normal except for the last bone of my ring finger.

Yum. Here's what it looked like in the car on the way to the doctor:


Anyway now it's in a lovely splint thing and I'm supposed to go to a hand surgeon (what?) sometime this week so he can look at it more closely and put a better splint on it or whatever needs to be done. The doctor said it would take 12 weeks to heal but I'm thinking/hoping he was giving me a really liberal estimate, because that seems forever long! Just in time for school to start.
I'm just super glad it wasn't worse. What if the ball was heavier than 13 pounds? What if it landed on my whole hand and broke it? That would suck, especially since it's my right hand. Also, Glenna is an absolute angel and stayed with me the whole time at the doctor and kept me laughing when I was having a freakout moment in her office with the EMS guys. She helped me take care of everything with the worker's comp. stuff and keeps checking up with me. She even brought me ice cream today along with another one of my co-workers! Also, shout-out to Devrey and Chandler who brought me pumpkin chocolate chip bread -- my absolute favorite! And to Dustin and Amy who fed me dinner and watched Saved By The Bell with me on Friday night. I've felt very loved and taken care of this weekend! It's not the most fun thing ever but at least it makes life interesting! I was getting a little bored... ;)

7 comments:

  1. Danielle the wonder woman even went back to work the next day! Hope you are feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for leaving the butt of your bread in our fridge for us to eat! :) haha Glad you're doing ok Danny! Please know that you are welcome up any time, especially after we move into our new place so you can see it! :) love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know about smashed fingers, and that one looks like it might slightly hurt. Hope it gets better soon, and glad you had so much help from family and co-workers. Love you.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. And MOM says: Hope you're feeling better really, really soon. And that you're soaking up all the sympathy you'll be getting. You gotta do it: it doesn't happen that often! Haha Dani. Love you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor girl! So sorry, that stinks:( I am so glad that you are getting spoiled by some great people:) Love ya:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 8 years! 8 years since a new post from my long lost daughter Danielle. 8 whole years.

    ReplyDelete